Scores of books have been written about leadership, but sift through the thousands of pages and what’s written seems to boil down to five traits that define effective leaders.
- Knowledge of Self: effective leaders know themselves and the world they want to influence.
- Clear Agenda: effective leaders have a clear agenda. They know what they want to accomplish and how they will measure their success.
- Understanding of Others: effective leaders understand their followers–what motivates them and what prevents them from optimizing their abilities.
- Core Values: effective leaders espouse a set of values that strongly influences their behavior and the behavior of those with whom they interact
- Passion: effective leaders have a passion for their work and instill that passion in others.
In subsequent posts we will explore each of these essentials and show how leaders of youth organizations can strongly and positively impact the lives of the young people they serve, even if they have little direct contact with those youth.